Explore

In 1808, residents petitioned the state legislature to allow them to estaglish the town of Gates after General Horatio Gates on the West back of the Genesee River. On April 4th, 1809 they met at the home of Jeremiah Olmstead to elect town officers. But it wasn't until June 10, 1812, the state legislature passed a bill to create the town of Gates, effective April 1, 1813.

  Home Life
Vogel Aloysius Vogel, born in 1860, is representative of some of the early settlers of the town of Gates.
Lyell Road Family This proud Gates family from a farm on Lyell Road suspends chores for a photograph in 1916.
Schott Farm The Charles Schott farm, on Buffalo Road, was sold to the state in the earlt 1900s to make way for the Barge Canal. In this photograph, from left to right, Harold (b.1899), Henrietta (b. 1896), and Marion (b. 1894).
Goat cart John Scott appears in a early "goat cart," a fun way to get around the farm.
Woodworth Farm Spencer Woodworth and his wife, Amanda, traveled from Connecticut to settle in Gates around 1840. By 1860, they had four childern: John, Mary, Clark, and William. This photograph was taken in the mid-1860s on the front lawn of their home on Hinchey Road, east of the Hinchey Homestead. William is on the left with the family dog, Clark married Julie Booth of Chili in 1849.
Andrew Andrew Harrington catches some rays in a popular baby buggy anound 1918. Andrew is the son of Charles and Mary, who served as Gates town clerk.
Clotilda The well pump is taller than two-year-old Clotilda Hoepfl as she draws water on the family homestead in Gates around 1930. Clotilda was the daughter of Amo and Julietta Eisenhauer Hoepfl and the granddaughter of Joseph and Julia Eisenhauer. The Eisenhauer's 59-acre farm was on Lyell Road.
Caudle Wallace and Nellie Caudle are pictured with their children Ada and Hazel, with Pearl in the perambulator, in 1909 at their homestead, located on the south side of Buffalo Road near the present-day Gates Community Center.
CaudleBull Hazel (left), Pearl (center), and Ada Caudle, dressed in their Sunday best, pose with a Bull at their Bufalo Road Homestead.
Wallace Caudle Wallace Caudle is pictured in the backyard of his Buffalo Road homestead in the early 1900s. He delivered milk to customers from a horsedrawn wagon.
Schott2 After the original homestead was razed for the construction of the Barge Canal in the early 1900s, the Schott family relocated to this house off Buffalo Road, near present-day Crestwood Boulevard.
Seriuos Picnic Judging by the expressions of these gentlemen, this particular picnic is serious business. Charles Schott (front, left), a wholesale butcher, joins a group of men for a meal outdoor. Note the formal attire and elegant place settings, complete with tablecloth.
Vogel Laundry A typical laundry day on the Vogel farm involves hanging the bedding and clothing on the line to dry.
Ice Cream Among those making ice cream (presumably on a sunday afternoon, by their attire) on the lawn of the Vogel farm are Herbert, Leonard, Isabelle, Lucy, and Priscilla Vogel.
Trolley Stop In the 1920s, the Rochester trolley rolled into Gates in the vicinity of present-day Trolley Boulevard and Long Pond Road, stopping for passengers at numbered locations. The stop designated as No. 4, Coldwater, was the home of Eustachio and Emma Rialdi and their children (Mary, Carmella, twins Angelo and Louis, and Matthew), who lived at the fork of Cole and Electric Avenues (now Downsview Drive). One day, when their parents went into Rochester for groceries, the twin brothers ventured into the fields to pick blueberries. After a few minutes, Angelo strated screaming, and the kids were horrified to see a snake coiled around his legs. The family pet, a German shepherd named Gemma, broke her leash, dashed to the scene, and quickly bit off the snake's head. Although Angelo had been rescued, Gemma died the next morning, apparently from the snake's venom. This is a typical story of life in Gates decades ago.
Pixley Cows A local farmer coaxes his cows down the middle of Pixley Road, just a dirt path in 1930.
Kid's Ride Most farms had at least one horse and plenty of room for the kids to ride. Here, Franklin Hinchey Helps his children Barbara (left), William (center), and Ron saddle up in the late 1930s.
Ice Rink When the Rochester Gas and Electric properity, near the corner of Hinchey Road and Jasmine Drive, flooded and frooze in the winter, neighbors has a ready-made skating rink. This viw looks north toward Hinchey Road.
  Transportation
Engine 513 Franklin Hinchey, son of pioneer William S. Hinchey, built the Hinchey Homestead in the 1870s. The train stopped near the Hinchey properity each morning to pick up Franklin, a railroad land agent, and dropped him off again at night. He can be seen in the window, second from the right, aboard Engine 513 on the New York Central line.
Unger Buggy Alfred Unger (born c.1900) often used a horse-drawn Buggy for transportation.
Tricycle "When is it my turn?" That seems to be the question on Abby Pixley's lips as John Pixley takes a ride on a very early tricycle.
Klien Horse Team Charlie Klien used his team and wagon to haul supplies, as seen here in 1916 near Pixley Road.
Williman Hinchey William Hinchey (1874-1964) is pictured on the Hinchey Homestead with his bike. Even after the first automobiles began to overtake the horse and buggy as a primary means of transportation, bicycles continued to be a popular and efficient mode of travel.
Geese and Bike Al Schnabel, age 17, rides an early bicycle ah his grandmother and a number of geese look on. The Schnabel Garage, located on Buffalo Road near Mount Read Boulevard, is still owned and operated by the family. In the early 1900s, this area was a part of the town of Gates.
Wagon In the early 20th century, when a social event was held at the Gates Presbyterian Church (then located on Buffalo Road near Howard Road), chairs and tables were borrowed from the Gates Grange, just across the street. Here, Mary Field transports the furnishings via horse-drawn wagon on the unpaved Buffalo Road.
George's team George Neracker travels down Howard Road in Gates with his team and wagon in 1916. He was a trustee of the Gates School District No. 7, later know as the Warren Harding School, on Spencerport Road.
Gas wagon Reuben Vogel has installed a gasoline engine onto a wagon, constructing a homemade horseless carriage. Many backyard mechanics tried their hands at building automobiles when cars and trucks replaced the horse and wagon.
Schott House The Charles Schott home, pictured in the late 1890s, was located on Buffalo Road, just east of the current Rick's Prime Rib House in the Doud Post building. After the house was demolished to make way for the Barge Canal, the family moved about a mile west to a farm off Buffalo Road near present-day Crestwood Boulevard.
Barge Canal Blast

Blasting for the Erie Canal (then called the Barge Canal) was under way in Gates in 1907. This view looks north from Buffalo Road. A six-mile section of the canal passes through Gates. The photographer was less than 50 feet away when he captured this explosion, which required 450 pounds of dynamite. (Courtesy of the Albert R. Stone Negative Collection, Rochester Museum and Science Center.)

Open Wagon John Kenney is pictured with an open wagon and team on his father's farm, located at 12 Spencerport Road near the corner of Lyell Road.
Wreck News reports of the day indicated that seven people were hurt when this early automobile was involved in an accident on a section of the newly paved Buffalo Road. The car is ready to be towed in this 1924 photograph from the Rochester Herald. (Courtesy of the Albert R. Stone Negative Collection, Rochester Museum and Science Center.)
Nash Charlie Schott drove his Nash from Los Angeles to the twon of Gates in eight days (and with no air-conditioning or Holiday Inns available.)
Wedding Car Couples have been proclaiming their weddings on cars for years. Alphonse B. DeYeager and Ottilia A. Eisenhauer did the same on their wedding day in 1935.
First Gates Truck Glanville and Frederick Vowles pose and one of the first trucks in Gates in this photograph taken on the Schott farm off Buffalo Road.
Motorcycle An unidentified man and boy ride on an early motorcycle in the town of Gates in 1916.
Cruise Night Cruise nights are nothing new, although it is doubtful that everyone drove to the Buffalo Road farm just to show off their newfangled automobiles. A celebration is the most likely reason for this gathering in the 1920s.
Plane The field in the back of Ackerman's Hotel and Restaurant, at the corner of Howard and Spencerport Roads, was used as a landing strip for early aircraft. Here, citizens inspect a plane that has landed there. Today, the corner were Ackerman's stood is occupied by a gas station, and the field where the airplanes landed was the Chese-Pitkin Home Center.
  Businesses
Kiln A lime kiln operating on the west side of Wegman Road c1900 produced Snow's White Lime, a product of some renown in its day. The kiln was demolished years ago, and interstate 490 now passes through the site.
Person Store Mary Ann Person, her husband, Gates justice of the peace Sebastian Person, and their daughter Hyacinth are pictured outside Judge Person's grocery store c1908. The store was located at the corner of of Lyell Avenue and Field Road (now Mount Read Boulevard), then part of Gates, Judge Person is the grandfather of two former Gates town judges, Patrick S. Egan and David D. Egan. David is currently a New York State Supreme Court Judge.
MilkDelivery Wallace Caudle, who lived with his family on the south side of Buffalo Road near the present day Gates Community Center, delivered milk to the townsfolk from his horse-drawn wagon.
Howard House The Howard House was a stagecoach stop, hotel, and restaurant in the town's early day. Built by Eleazer Howard c1825, it stood until 1956 on the southeast corner of Buffalo and Howard Roads where the Dave Green Automotive Garage is today. The Gates Presbyterian Church was organized in the Howard House in 1828. Howard then donated land for a new church building and cemetery just a few hundreds yards east on Buffalo Road.
Beckers Store Becker's, a market on the south side of Buffalo Road just east of the intersection with Howard Road, was originally located on Front Street in Rochester. Constructed in the 1880s, the building was owned by the Templar's Union and the Gates Grange until the Becker family purchased the site.
German Brick An extensive deposit of red clay made it possible for the Rochester German Brick and Tile Company to produce more than 40,000 bricks a day at the brickyard on Brooks Avenue, where the Greater Rochester International Airport is now located. Because of the fires in the kiln, the brickyard was a favorite stopover for hoboes seeking a warm place to sleep. Steam shovels dug and loaded the clay onto cars that were taken by team or trucks to the mixing plant and then to the kiln, where the clay was molded and dried. At its peak, the company employed about 60 workers. Operations ceased in 1935.
Railroad This view shows the brickyard and the railroad.
Kilns The brickyard and the kilns.
Joseph Harris Joseph Harris (1828-1892) purchased a 141-acre farm at the corner of present-day Buffalo and Manitou Roads in 1863 for $14,250, named it Moreton Farm after his boyhood home in England, and established the Joseph Harris Seed Company in 1879. He was also the owner and editor of the Genesee Farmer, associate editor of the Country Gentleman, and president of the Genesee Valley Horticultural and Monroe County Agricultural Societies.
Harris House The Joseph Harris homestead, built in the 1830s, was part of the original farm purchased by Mr. Harris during the Civil War. It was located on the north side of Buffalo Road, just east of the corner of Buffalo and Manitou Roads. The homestead served as the first headquarters for the Harris Seed company. Eventually, the properity was sold and the homestead demolished.
Squash Machine The "squash gang" removes seeds from the jumbo Hubbard squash at the Harris Seeds farm in the 1930s. Plenty of hands were required because the seed mechanism was a cumbersome horsedrawn apparatus. Carl Warren served as general manager of Harris Seeds.
Melon Truck A Moreton Farm driver prepares for a delivery of Irondequoit melons in the late 1920s.
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

 

 

 

A History of Gates in Photographs

©2020 GATES HISTORICAL SOCIETY – all rights reserved --- GatesHistoricalSociety@gmail.com